College Counseling Programs at HSI-Sugar Land
[av_hr class=’default’ height=’50’ shadow=’no-shadow’ position=’center’ custom_border=’av-border-thin’ custom_width=’50px’ custom_border_color=” custom_margin_top=’30px’ custom_margin_bottom=’30px’ icon_select=’yes’ custom_icon_color=” icon=’ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’ av_uid=’av-2kqrgw’ admin_preview_bg=”]
College counseling programs at HSI-Sugar Land aim to help our students make more informed and better educational and career choices. Among other things, programs offer information on high school course offerings, career options, the type of academic and occupational training needed to succeed in the workplace, and postsecondary opportunities that are associated with their field of interest. Programs also often provide teachers, administrators, and parents with information they can use to support students’ career exploration and postsecondary educational opportunities.
Activities associated with college guidance and counseling programs typically include:
- Advising students and parents on high school programs and academic curriculum, preparing them for college application and admission.
- Arranging dual/concurrent enrollment and Advanced Placement credits to prepare students for the rigour of postsecondary education.
- Planning and preparation for college admissions tests, SAT and ACT.
- Informing students about postsecondary financing that can be used to support advanced education and training.
- Developing college & career portfolios, which include test and grades results, examples of student work, and resumes and cover letters to prospective employers.
- Arranging job shadowing, work placements, and community-based learning programs to allow students to directly experience workplace situations.
- Sponsoring workshops, classes, focus groups, and special presentations that focus on job skills and personal development.
- Providing specialized college counseling services to provide students with individualized attention.